Online registration dates: Monday, June 22 through Friday, June 25, 2018
Students will not be permitted to attend classes unless they are registered. This is university policy. No exceptions can be made.
If you have any questions regarding the registration procedures, contact the Office of Records and Registration at 313-577-1470.
Lottery Process – Pre-Registration Requirements and Required Forms
- Criminal Background Check (Elective – Certiphi Request Form)
- Student Information Form
- Complete HIPAA Training 2016 module – must be completed by June 29, 2018 (email has been sent)
- Complete Infection Control 2016 module – must be completed by June 29, 2018 (email has been sent)
- Complete Understanding Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault module (email has been sent)
- Complete Creating a Respectful Learning Environment: Avoiding Student and Trainee Mistreatment module (email has been sent)
- Complete ELM Risk Management modules (email has been sent)
- Tuberculosis Test – Administered by Office of Student Affairs
- Basic Cardiac Life Support Training
Promotion and USMLE
Promotion to Year 3 is contingent upon receipt of a passing score on the USMLE Step 1 exam. Students who fail Step 1 will be withdrawn from classes and enrolled in a 12-credit hour directed study with status of special matriculation. Please see below for more USMLE information.
No registration is valid unless you pay the required fees at the time of registration and all holds are released, i.e., you must have paid all previous levied fees, complied with the TB testing requirement, returned library books, slides and equipment, etc.
Year 3 Registration Instructions
There are six steps to completing the registration process for Year 3 Students:
- Financial Responsibility Agreement – You will be emailed a link to a financial responsibility agreement. You are required to sign this agreement. This agreement is an acknowledgement that you are responsible to pay tuition and fees. If you have a full-tuition scholarship, you must still sign this agreement.
- Disability Insurance – All medical students are required to have disability insurance as a condition of enrollment in the medical school. Please visit the following link to register and pay for disability insurance: Medinsure Group
- Health Insurance – All medical students are required to have health insurance or an approved waiver on file as a condition of enrollment in the medical school. Please visit Medinsure Group to register and pay for health insurance.
- To waive the requirement to purchase health insurance through the school's group health plan (MedinsureGroup), the student's current health insurance must provide coverage and a waiver application MUST BE submittedto Medinsure Group to qualify. Your waiver application will be reviewed and you will be notified if a waiver has been granted.
- Student Information Form – Create a Dynamic Forms account and complete the online Student Information Form.
- Click here for the Student Registration Information Form.
- Tuition and Fee Payment – Students in the standard program are registered for 50 credit hours per year. You will be billed for classes by the Student Accounts Receivable Office. Your bill will appear as an e-bill in your Academica account.
|Class Level||Ebill Date||Bill Due Date|
|Modified||Aug. 1, 2018||Aug. 15, 2018|
|Year 1||Aug. 1, 2018||Aug. 15, 2018|
|Year 2||Aug. 1, 2018||Aug.15, 2018|
|Year 3||July 1, 2018||July 15, 2018|
|Year 4||July 15, 2018||July 15, 2018|
- If you are a National Health Service Corps or military scholarship recipient, contact the Office of Financial Student Aid to confirm your scholarship status.
- Payments may be made through your Academica account. See Instructions to make an online payment.
- For other payment options and more information, visit the Office of the Bursar.
- Installment Payments: The WSU Installment Payment offers a low-cost, flexible system for paying educational expenses out of current income through regularly-scheduled payments during a 10-month period. Copies of an informational brochure and application are available through the Office of Records and Registration.
Additional Medical School Fees:
- The $823 Student Support Fee is used to fund teaching materials expense and other course-related costs
- Health Insurance Annual Premium: See Medinsure Group for plan options, costs, enrollment forms and waiver eligibility
- Professional Disability Insurance Premium: $50.94 payable online by visiting Medinsure Group
- HEPA Respirator Fee
- $28 check payable to Detroit Receiving Hospital
6) Registration Completion: Your registration process is not complete until you have completed all the above steps/ processes. If you have questions regarding registration, contact the Office of Records and Registration at 313-577-1470.
Financial Aid Recipients
You will be expected to pay tuition, additional fees and health insurance at registration if your financial aid requirements are not complete.
You MUST complete all requirements at least TWO WEEKS before your registration date. The Office of Financial Student Aid will then notify the Office of Records and Registration that your tuition and fees, with the exception of disability and health insurance, can be deferred at registration. For a full list of requirements, see the Office of Financial Student Aid.
If you are the recipient of a full-tuition scholarship through the school, know that among other non-tuition charges, it does not cover the omnibus fee, student support fee, fitness center fee, health insurance or other charges. You will be required to pay non-tuition charges from another source.
If you are the recipient of a scholarship through an external provider such as the U.S. military or National Health Services Corps, you must submit documentation to the Office of Financial Student Office upon initial acceptance to the program. These programs cover tuition fees and the lowest option single-person health insurance rate. Your tuition fees will be deferred at registration and the university will bill your third-party provider.
Title IV Authorization
- Under federal law, the university must receive your "authorization" to cover fees other than tuition, registration, omnibus, fitness center and contracted university room and board fees.These other fees are called "authorized allowable charges" and can include, but are not limited to, short-term loans, interest, open registration, orientation, lab and course material fees.
- To authorize the university to deduct health insurance charges you must complete the online Title IV Authorization Form.
- If you do not complete the Title IV Authorization Form, the university must assume that you wish to restrict use of your financial aid funds. Restricted funds cover only tuition, registration, student service, fitness center and contracted university room and board fees.
- If you restrict use of your financial aid funds, you assume responsibility for paying any account balance not covered by restricted financial aid by the specified due date. Fees not paid by the due date are subject to late fees.
The Office of International Students and Scholars
The Office of International Students and Scholars at Wayne State University exists to support and enhance your educational, cultural and social experiences. The office collaborates with the medical school and the community to create and maintain an inclusive, global campus.
Year 3 students taking a full load of courses will be scheduled for 50 credits per year. Various off-track students (e.g., modified students, those taking leaves of absence) will register for variable credit hours. The following table lists the courses and their credit hours.
|Course Numbers||Course||Credit Hours|
|7000||Continuity Clinic Clerkship||3|
|various*||Elective 1 (Year 3)||3|
|Total = 50|
*Electives are at the 8000 or 9000 level